Saturday, July 1, 2017

June 30, 2017: WHAT???


People at my new over 55 retirement home do not seem to realize that the majority of them are 20-30 years my senior.  As I walk around the property I see people who are just a few years younger or even the same age as my parents would be now if they were still living.

I do not mind older people.  Hell, I consider myself old.  But what bugs me is the pervasive loss of hearing among the residents.  I thought hearing aids had improved.  I know that it used to be hard for the users to turn down the ambient noise.  Hasn't that problem been solved?  So, then why won't deaf seniors use hearing aids?

Yes, I'm cranky.  It's late.  My right leg hurts from the hip to foot.  I can't sleep in the rickety cot that this retirement home has lent to me.  So, I'm complaining.  I am tired of yelling at people to have them hear me.  I'm tired of listening to other people yelling to be heard.  It is a mad house in the dining room with all the raised voices.  There's no loud background music like there is in some restaurants forcing the diners to holler.  It's the deafness of the residents.

Tonight I went to a movie in the group theater.  It started at 6:30 PM.  It was almost over when one woman stood up and went to the window.   She pulled back the blinds to check who was phoning her.  Then she started speaking loudly into it.  She described how she would call them back later because she didn't want to bother the other viewers.

She was talking in a very LOUD voice.  Was she the hard of hearing one?  Or was it the person on the other end of the line?  Does it matter?  Be quiet!

I may have to delete this post if I share my blog address with any of the people here.  I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.  I need to vent to keep my sanity.

I have met 3 women who live on my floor who hear well and are about my age.  One woman says that she usually eats in her apartment.  I'm very social.  I want to eat in the dining room.  But, I am starting to understand her motivation.

No comments: