Wednesday, February 21, 2018

February 21, 2018: Snow?!!

This morning I woke up to a beautiful winter wonderland.  I turned on Good Morning America.  The outside audience was in shirt sleeves.  That's just backwards - Portland is supposed to be mild.

The local news reports that this weather is unusual.  It was in the 60's last week.

I've had to cancel my PT yesterday and today.  Since I'm hibernating in the house I've been working on organizing little stuff.  Why do I have all this jewelry?  I had already disposed of tons of it before my move.  Now I'm getting ready to send half of what's left to thredup.com.  At least I'll get a couple dollars for it.  What they don't accept, they donate.

Tomorrow I was scheduled to take a bus trip to Tilamook.  Tilamook is near the coast and there is a big creamery there.  It will most likely be canceled.  The bus is supposed to leave from a community center.  That center is closed until noon today.   It might snow again tonight.

I am almost ready to post pictures of my house.  Every time I work on one room the whole house gets messed up.  Last night I had to throw all my boxes of sorted jewelry into a bin so I could use my bed.

How can I throw away a cup my son, Kevin made me for Christmas ten years ago?   Or the reindeer Andy made from clothespins in preschool?  All the gifts I've received I cherish.  Then, of course, there's the stuff I've collected.  I got rid of most of my once extensive cat collection.  But, I've kept the Catwoman and pink poodle things.  I couldn't give away the dolls I've made and collected.  They're in a clear bin in the garage.

I still hope to make displays with the miniatures I've amassed.  They, too, are in the garage.  I've kept my oil pastels and drawing pencils.  I'd like to take up drawing again someday.

I have gone from 6 large bookcases of fabric to 3.  The sewing group I joined brings in things to share and swap at their meetings.  I can't carry it all at once so I take a bag of it every month.

I went into the local arts and crafts store with virtual blinders on.  I asked the salesman to take me directly to Modpodge and that is all I bought.  The same with the huge Fabric Depot - I bought only belting to make Sweetsie a new harness.

Growing old is tough.  It's the letting go of so much of one's past.  I have my dad's World War II pin, my mom's years of service at Sibley's awards, the baby book my mom made for me.  It's hard to let go of these things.  I am trying to choose just a few select things and discarding the rest.  It's only fair to my sons to minimize my possessions.  I don't want them to have to deal with too much stuff after I die.

Keeping some of my memorabilia is a form of self love.  It's important.


No comments: