Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tutorial for Little Squirt Bag


I can't get the photos to load into the tutorial. Go to this link for full tutorial:
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Afk5quNdzmZYZGM3M3IyaG5fNTFnZmgyc2hjcw&hl=en

MY LITTLE SQUIRT BAG


I bought these cute size 4 toddler (for a little squirt) shorts at a thrift store. I decided to use them to make a handy little purse.



First, line up the front waistband with the back waistband. Draw a straight line across the shorts above the crotch seam. Cut along this line.



Use the cutoff shorts to measure for a lining. A perky cotton print makes a great lining.




Next I used a dollar bill and a gift card to measure for inside pockets. I selected a "vintage" 7" zipper.



I interfaced the lining with pellon waist maker.

It was just the right size to for the lining and the pockets.



I sewed the pockets to the lining. There are 3 spots for credit cards, one for cash and a pocket that closes securely with hook and loop tape.
Then I inserted the zipper into the lining.



Make a handle for the bag using fabric from the cut off hem of the shorts. Insert this into outer bag about 1" from the corner. Sew. This will be sewn again when the lining is attached.



The lining goes into the jean bag, wrong sides together, being sure to keep the handle extended out of the bag.

Sew securely. I used machine and hand stitching.



I tore a 1 1/2" wide by 24" long strip of the checked fabric. I drew this through the belt loops of the jeans. I used a piece of pink foldover elastic for a zipper pull.






I tore another narrow strip of fabric, did a running stitch along one edge, pulled the stitches up to form a rosette. I attached the rosette to the center front of the bag and added a pretty button.



One of the outside front pockets is perfect for my cell phone, the other for my personal cards. The back pockets could hold tissues, etc. My keys hook on to a belt loop. It is a very useful little purse.

No comments: