Sunday, October 16, 2011

October 16, 2011: typical day of a caregiver

Today is the anniversary of the car wreck that left me handicapped at the age of 18. My left kneecap was shattered so the surgeon removed it. I've found out since then that people really NEED kneecaps.

Now I've learned what handicapped really means. Jim is REALLY handicapped. He's stuck in a wheelchair.

Today I got up at 5:30 AM and let in the caregiver. I went back to bed until 7. Got up, checked on Jim, threw on a hat & clothes, went to CVS and then Walmart grocery store. As I was loading the car with my purchases I had another flashback of Jim helping me with grocery shopping. We would take 2 carts, he would go one way and I'd go the other. He'd load the bags into the car, carry them into the house and I'd put the stuff away. I'm happy that I had his help back then but I mourn the loss of his help now. I teared up in the Walmart parking lot.

I drove home and I carried in $200 worth of groceries. The caregiver left at 9 and I came home at 9:15. I checked on Jim. He needed my immediate help. I cleaned him up then finished putting groceries away. Mom came in and I made her breakfast.

Finally at 10 I got to sit down and have a cup of coffee.

No comments: