Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Sewing Filled Weekend




This past weekend, Jan 29 - Feb 1, I was at a ASG sewing "retreat." I don't like the name "retreat." Maybe "extravaganza" would be better.

I've been going on these retreats since 2002 with the exception of last year. The first year I didn't really know anyone and asked to be assigned a roommate. That's how I first met Marguerite Corbello. We got along great. She did pass her nasty cold on to me, though. We roomed together most of these years. In 2006 she invited a third woman, Barbara Rogers. That was okay because we had a living room with a sofa bed and a bedroom with 2 beds. Barbara complained that I snored.

In 2007 the 3 of us were rooming together again. At the last minute our retreat center, Del Lago Resort closed down. The Northwest Conference Center took us in. But, they don't have extra sofa beds or cots. I had to sleep in the same bed with Marguerite. Barbara slept on the sofa. It was no where near as nice as Del Lago. We were all in the same room together. I gave Barbara earplugs and I wore a "breathe right" strip but still she commented on my snoring. It's a good thing she doesn't have to sleep with the snoring champion, my husband!

The retreat was overbooked. 80 women showed up because there was a nationally known instructor, Connie Crawford. The class may have worked for 30 women - though that would probably be too many. The instructions were not good, no powerpoint, no video. We made individual pant patterns. We each had to wait while Connie went around working on our patterns. Mostly all I did was wait. There was no space to sew anything. I did get to visit with a lot of people.

Marguerite didn't want to go in 2008. I wasn't very enthusiastic after my last experience so I didn't go either.

Marguerite couldn't go this year but Mary Haper could. So, we roomed together. There were 28 women at the retreat. We each had our own table. There were irons, boards and a cutting table. Everyone pretty much did their own thing. I finished a t-shirt and jeans purse (like the one I saw the week before in San Antonio). I worked on a present for Kevin plus I cut out a jacket for myself.
Mary and I got along great.

It was nice to reconnect with women I'd met on previous retreats - especially Jodie Urbano from Galveston.
I got to know Jeannie, Pam, Hazel and her daughter, Lisa better. I met a first time retreater, Robbie. Plus I visited with Constance, Georgia, Martha and Pat. I always enjoy talking to Alice - she has so many projects going. Bonnie came, even though she just had surgery. Suzy Seed is our new chapter president and she made sure to visit with each of us.

It was really a lot of fun. I'm glad I brought my good machine (its first outing) so I could get a lot done, too.

No comments: