Thursday, August 30, 2012

August 30, 2012

It's so hot in Houston that the building (Sewall Hall, Rice University) housing my office is participating in power rationing.  All of a sudden the building gets very quiet - the air conditioner is off.  Then about 15 or 20 minutes later there is a very LOUD screeching sound as the antiquated system turns back on.

It sounds like the building is being hit by shrapnel.  I feel sorry for the new students.  It must really scare them.

The month of September is right around the corner.  It is my least favorite month in Houston.  I've been living here for over 30 years but I'm still a yankee at heart.  I always feel like September signals cooler weather.  NOT IN HOUSTON!  I think September is usually the hottest month of the year.  Plus,  it's the most popular month for hurricanes to visit the area.

BUT, one more month until October.  The weather cools down in October.  The festival and bazaar season revs up in October.  You can even go outside at noon on some days without immediately breaking into a sweat.


No comments: