Thursday, May 9, 2013

May 9, 2013

I have had a busy 2 weeks.

On April 27th I drove to Brenham for a day trip with the Fabulous Life meetup group.  The wildflowers were still in bloom!
We went to the Antique Rose Gardens near Brenham.  It was very lush and beautiful.

 
We went to lunch at the diner in the Brenham airport.  (I saw it once on a "Daytripper" show on PBS.)  It was a cute place.  The waitresses were all dressed in poodle skirts.  It was crowded so we had to wait for awhile.  Some of us walked out by the hangars and looked at the small planes.

We were seated outside and could watch takeoffs and landings.  The diner is famous for their hamburgers so that's what I ordered.  It was really good - big, juicy, tasty, etc.









From there we went to a little winery outside of Brenham.

It drizzled a little bit while we were there but the weather was very comfortable.

Then I started back to Houston.  There were big black clouds on the horizon.  It started to really rain hard when I got to 290 and 610.   At least
the traffic wasn't bad.

I thought I might have to take refuge in Meyerland Plaza but Braeswood wasn't flooded at all.  The bayou was high but still well in its banks.  Then I got to my subdivision.  I tried 3 entrances and the roads were all flooded.  I turned into a road closer to Hillcroft.  It was clear.  Then as I drove towards home I had to keep turning to avoid flooded streets.  I ended up parking on someone's driveway for 4 hours.  I read my car manual, deleted old pictures on my camera, tried to take a nap.  Finally it was clear enough to go home.  I had to check navigation on my phone because I got all turned around trying to avoid flooded streets.

It's ironic.  I was worried about driving alone to Brenham and that was just fine.  Driving very close to home was the real problem.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.