Thursday, May 24, 2018

May 24, 2018

This post is just to help me remember.  It's not very interesting.

Last year on this day I woke up in the hospital self aware enough to take a selfie. 

I think that was the day I noticed a phone in my room and dialed the only number I could think of at the time.  I called my office number and talked to Altha.  She said I sounded very weird.  She thought I was joking about the accident - who gets hit by a bus?? Then she noticed the hospital name on the caller id.

It's funny how spotty my memory is of my time in the hospital.  On TV medical shows they always ask people their names in the emergency room.  I only remember when they cut off my dress.  I was annoyed because I made that dress and liked it.

I heard lots of screaming.  It sounded like my mother's night terror screams. I barely moaned during child birth.  My shattered hip was so painful it must have been my voice I heard.

I remember talking to the police and telling them my son Kevin's address.  Around midnight they went to his house pounding on the door and flashing lights.  Kevin thought it was a home invasion and called the police.  Poor Sweetsie had been stuck in the back of the police car for hours.
Kevin came to the hospital while Tomoko took care of my puppy.

I remember seeing Kevin bending over me in the hospital that first night, maybe?  He told me that he and family visited every night.  My poor son had to go to my apartment and find my insurance card, etc.  The next day he had to be there because my stuff was arriving from Houston.  I guess he had to make other medical decisions for me.

There are no nurses in my memory.  I remember being stuck in a dark hallway after being x-rayed.   Legacy Emmanuel Hospital is old and dreary inside.

I don't remember eating any meals until I woke up after being transferred to the skilled nursing home.  I still had a piece of hamburger in my mouth so the hospital must have fed me occasionally.

This photo was taken on May 22, 2018, the one year anniversary of the accident.






No comments: