Wednesday, May 9, 2018

May 8, 2018: Newport OR

Newport aquarium
I made it off the waiting list for a trip to Newport on a Multnomah County senior trip.  The bus left at 8 AM.  It was a 3 hour drive.  I remembered my travel pillow and snoozed most of the way there.

The bus left us off on the main street in Newport.  We walked around looking for a place for lunch and ended up at The Chowder Bowl.  I had the chowder cannonball - clam chowder in a bread bowl.  It was very tasty.


The beach was a a long walk down a hill, past road construction.  I couldn't walk that far but I could see the ocean from the road.  I ended up walking a short way down the main street and popping into a shop.







At 1:30 the bus took us to the aquarium.  There was no close to the door parking.  I don't understand why Oregon doesn't follow ADA laws.  I'm glad I was able to make the walk to the entrance. The displays inside were interesting but a bit confusing.  The descriptions on the walls didn't always match up with the fish in the tanks.

My favorite tank was the one with the jellyfish.  They are so beautiful in the water.

jellyfish


Moray eel
sea nettle


It started raining hard so I missed seeing the outside displays.

I did a bit of walking with my cane.  That was good exercise for me.

The bus made a pit stop at a Dairy Queen in Salem on the return trip. It was a long day.  We got back at 7:30 PM.  Sweetsie spent the day with Tomoko.  My poor doggie was so exhausted when she came home.

No comments: