Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 30, 2011: last day of out of pocket paid up

Tomorrow, July 1st, is the beginning of the new fiscal year at Rice. I spent so much money on physical therapy this past year that I paid in all the out of pocket expenses pretty early on. I have one last doctor's appointment this year at 5 PM today.

I have a choking cough that exhausts me. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now so today I'm going to go to my doctor. It's probably just a spike in my allergies. There's all kinds of new equipment in the house - power chair, power bed, new a/c and duct work. Any of these could set my allergies off. Not to mention the stress that I am under. Now I have a more consistent stress so the adrenalin doesn't kick in to protect me like it did in the early days of Jim's illness.

Jim continues to slowly progress. Lupita works him very hard when they go to the gym. And he has finally started pt and ot this week.

Little Stella is the only joy in my new life as the caregiver. She is learning not to bite me. The other cats don't discipline her so she keeps biting them. She will run and jump on their backs and bite them. She needs to learn more kitty manners. She joins me in bed at night. Mostly she sleeps in the carrier that I put on Jim's side of the bed. At least I don't have to sleep alone anymore.

I do have another joy - I still have Jim and Mom. Pre-accident I was aware of how lucky I was to have them both in my life. I still have them and that's good, even though their care is more complicated now.

No comments: