I've found that the expensive ones as well as the cheapos end up with the same problem: the underwire pokes a hole through its casing and starts jabbing into my body.
When that happens I push the wire back into place, sew up the hole and cover it with a piece of felt.
The stubborn underwire eventually breaks through the felt making it necessary to repeat the repair.
Then I realized that I could use a non-tear material that is actually washable: "Tyvek*." (I actually got this idea after watching World War Z. The humans covered their limbs with tyvek because it protected them from zombie bites.)
These are the steps I take now to repair bra tears.
|Notice the yellow underwire poking out of its casing.|
|I used "tyvek" material from a used FedEx envelope.|
|Cut a small strip of "tyvek" and a slightly larger piece of felt.|
|First, I sewed the "tyvek" over the torn portion of the hole made by the protruding underwire.|
|I sewed the piece of felt onto the bra, covering the "tyvek." The felt feels more comfortable against the skin than "tyvek."|
|Here is the finished repair. The flesh colored felt blends neatly with the bra.|