Sunday, August 27, 2017

August 27, 2017: Hurricane Harvey

I've been happy that I moved to Portland.  I get to see Kevin and family often.  But, I have had regrets - especially about getting hit by a bus.  Also I miss seeing my son, Andy, working at Rice and being with friends.

Hurricane Harvey has changed all that (except the part about the bus).  I would be terrified owning property in Houston now.  I always worried about the high water.  My house never flooded but all the construction has been causing more places to be in the flood zone.

In the past if I was caught out on the road during heavy rains, I could always pull into a mall parking lot or a fast food restaurant.  Now Harvey is shutting the whole city down.  My friend Bert said that the McDonald's in my old neighborhood already has 2 feet of water in it.  And it is supposed to keep raining heavily through Wednesday.

People that I talk to in Portland don't seem to comprehend the extent of Houston's flooding problems. Previous storms have had people drowning in underpasses, canoes paddling down freeways, houses being destroyed.

The most terrifying time is at night when you can't tell how high or fast the water is rising.

I hope that the predictions are wrong and that the city isn't destroyed.  Please may my Andy and my friends stay safe.



No comments: