Friday, June 23, 2017

June 23, 2017: What's important now

Tonight is my last night at the "home."  I've made quite a few friends here.  I started a little group that I call the lucidity club.  There's 4 of us who eat meals together.  We have a lot in common: we all have injuries that need rehab and we still have most of our marbles.  We even played cards a few times.  I'll miss seeing them every day.

I decided that I would move from my apartment at Marvel 29.  It's still full of a lot of boxes.  There is only a bathtub, no accessible walk-in shower.  I did put a riser on the toilet but that is not enough for safety.  I'm just not all that steady on my feet yet.  I have progressed to a 4 wheel walker that has a seat, basket and hand brakes.  It's mine to keep.  Since I got it, I haven't used the wheelchair anymore.

I have practiced using a ramp here.  The ramp at Marvel 29 is pretty scary.  It's steep and is close to a busy intersection.  I don't know when I can drive my car again.  That means I would be home bound and alone most of the time.

I decided to break my lease and move to an over 55 independent living community, Russellville Park.  The average age there is about 80.  I'll bring the average down a little bit.  My doctor wrote a letter stating that I needed a safer environment.  Hopefully I can get out of my lease without penalty.

The only 2 bedroom apartment available is a remodeled unit with all the fancy bells and whistles - fireplace, corner location, washer and dryer, etc.  It's a lot more than I'd like to pay but I will be safe there.  There are 4 alarm cords in each unit plus someone checks on you once a day.  The complex has a physical therapist on staff plus a heated pool.

As I get better I will be looking for a permanent home.  I prefer a condo because I do not want to do yard work.  Houses here are tiny and very expensive.  I'm sure that I will love living in a community like Russellville Park.  Unfortunately, it would devour my savings quickly.

Kevin will pick me up tomorrow.  We'll go to Marvel 29.  I have to pick up my important papers and whatever else I can carry.  I need to get Stella kitty into her cat carrier.  She and I will move to Russellville Park.  I don't know when my things will get moved.  I'm going to rent a bed in the new place.  It has air conditioning.  Tomorrow it is supposed to get to 101 degrees in Portland.  My Marvel 29 apartment does not have a/c and neither does Kevin's house.  But Stella and I will sleep comfortably in our rented bed in an empty apartment.

Sweetsie can move in after I improve.  I miss her but I'm not ready to take her outside using my walker.  I'll have to train her to walk on my right side and stay away from the wheels.

No comments: