Wednesday, November 21, 2012

November 19, 2012: grocery shopping

Today I decided to venture out on my own for the first time in Japan.  I walked down to the grocery store.



It is an easy walk from Kevin's apartment.  It is probably about as big as an HEB Pantry store.  I walked up and down every aisle.  I must have been in there for over an hour.  Here are some stuff that I found interesting.


There is Christmas stuff everywhere in Tokyo.  This is the store's front display featuring Christmas.  You can place orders now for "Christmas cake."  It is frosted with fluffy white icing and strawberries on top.  The Japanese think that we all eat this cake back in the US.  Everybody here buys these cakes.  Kevin told me that Christmas is not celebrated with your family, but with your date or lover.  Christmas is not an official holiday here - it is not a day off.
There is a section full of ready made foods.  I chose one that I thought looked tasty.  When I cut into it back at the apartment it was full of something squishy and weird.  I didn't even try it.  When Tomoko came home she said it was a big piece of squid.  She volunteered to eat it.
 

There are wonderful baked goods here.  I bought this cookie because it looked like the sweet bread that is popular with Mexicans.  It tasted pretty similar.
I was looking for butter.  Kevin had described the package for me.  Turns out I bought some kind of cheese - tastes good, though.

I loaded my purchases in my rolling carry on bag and went back home.

I felt my first little earthquake that afternoon.  It was just a mild shaking.  I wasn't even sure if I really felt something until Kevin confirmed that there was a tremor today.

No comments: