Thursday, July 27, 2017

July 27, 2017

I had an appointment with my trauma surgeon yesterday.  He answered my questions and didn't rush me out the door.  I couldn't take a photo of my xrays this time because they have a new machine that shows the xray right on the doctor's computer.  It doesn't look much different than last time.
The doctor said that my bone was continuing to grow back - slowly.  I asked about what the doctor calls a "nail" in the xray.  It goes through a hole in the long rod going down to almost my knee to help hold all the broken pieces of femur together so that the bone will grow between them.  The top of my femur was badly broken by the bus.

He said that as I continue to heal the pain will lessen.  He said that I will be feeling better the next time he sees me - in TWO months!  It's been 2 months since the accident.  I know I shouldn't complain too much.  I did live through being crashed into by a bus.  It sucks that I have to suffer because the bus driver decided to run a stop sign.

Maybe I will feel relatively normal after a year goes by.  I probably will have to do rehab for almost that long.

After rehab I hurt so much.  It hurts if I sit, stand, walk, lay down.  I'm not looking forward to the many more months I'll have to do it.  I know it's the only way to get back to "normal," my new "normal" anyway.

The doctor did say that I can drive again.  I have to get over to Kevin's side of town and pick up my car that's parked in front of his house.  Going places will be difficult because I need to take the walker.  I will be so happy when I can graduate to a cane.  I can walk a few steps with a cane in therapy.  It's tough because I have to learn a new way to use a cane.  I walked with a cane for 7 years while I waited to get old enough to have a knee replacement.  I held the cane with my right hand because it was my left leg that needed help.

Now I have to switch the cane to my left hand for my weaker right side.

I want to moan about being bored now.  The retirement home was having a talent show today.  By the time I went to the theater where it was being held there wasn't even standing room only left.  Why did they build such a small theater here?  There are 2 large buildings full of people but only a small theater.

I'm used to lots of activity and socializing.  If it wasn't for Sweetsie, I'd be so alone.  I can't wait to get well enough to leave the retirement home.  I feel cut off from the rest of the world here.  The 80 and 90 year old residents have made this their world.  I've tried to join in some of the activities.  It's difficult when there is such an homogenous group of people.  My "young" age makes me different.

No comments: