Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 24, 2011: 6 months today

We had family rounds this morning. I am trying to get Jim's discharge delayed by one day so he will be able to get more therapy. He is still scheduled for next Wednesday. I asked Dr Berliner if we could wait till the weekend. He said maybe Thursday. So, the big return home day is right around the corner.

It has been 6 months today since Jim's accident. He hasn't been home in all that time.

Today I spoke with a nursing agency about coming in daily for his bowel program. It will cost at least $50/day. I'm hoping we can go down to every other day. But, I guess it's not a bad price to pay for doing such a task.

I've been getting teary-eyed often again. There will be big changes when Jim returns and I worry about how things will go. My doctor increased my welbutrin to 3/day to get me through this period. These past months have been incredibly difficult for me. I wish I were stronger.

I wish I had family to support me here in Houston. It's hard to deal with this alone. I just need some compassion. Luckily I have some very good friends.

I was telling the nurse today about our situation. I haven't told anybody the whole story in a while. She couldn't believe it. Her reaction reminded me how extremely difficult this has been and I realize that I have been handling things pretty well. My job gets done, bills get paid, the house gets necessary repairs, pets get taken care of, cars taken in for repairs, papers filled out and I've found good caregivers for Mom. I search the internet for information on spinal cord injuries and for products to make things easier for Jim. On top of that I go visit Jim 6 out of 7 days per week for several hours and deal with doctors, nurses, therapists, etc. (I sound like my own little cheering section.)

No comments: